Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Life Abnormal

This morning as I left for school, I hit my head on the light hanging from the ceiling and it caused me to ponder upon all the great aspects of life as a tall person (currently i reside at 6'6"). I just want to impress upon all people of normal height just what it is you are missing:

1- You often hit your head on objects. Including, but not exclusive to: ceilings, hanging decorations, lights, and doorways.
2- I've realized that most vehicles are made for people 6 feet tall and shorter. Cars are way too small, you're not able to fit comfortably in the front seats so don't even try the back seat (back seat in the middle on the hump is the worst). Airplanes are rides from hell, not only do you have to pull your legs up into your chest to be able to sit down, you can't even stand without having to bend over so your head is between your knees.
3- Clothes are almost impossible to find unless in addition to being tall you are also fat. For some reason the people that make clothes have come to the conclusion that if you're tall you must also be overweight. But it's a lie, some of us aren't that fat.
4- People use you. If I had a nickle for every time someone asked me to do something simply because of my height I would be filthy rich.
5- People always assume you must not only play basketball (which I do), but that you must also be good at it (which I am not).
6- Beds (and couches for that matter) are almost always too short, so you either spend your nights with your legs hanging off the end of the bed or with your legs bent in not-so-comfortable positions.

But don't worry, it's not all bad.
7- I never have to worry about being shorter than a girl.
8- You don't need a ladder or chair to reach items up high in the atmosphere.
9- It's easy to intimidate people, and make them feel insignificant.
10- You can take 3 steps at a time going up the stairs, no problem.
11- You take 1 step for every 2 steps a normal sized person takes.
12- You get to stand in the back in group pictures.

Don't get me wrong I love being tall and stuff, I'm just trying to give ya'll some perspective. So please just take it easy on those of us who might be abnormally tall, it's not as easy as as you might suspect.

2 comments:

McKayJoice said...

I feel like number four was directed towards us gnomes. Do you know how awful it is to go grab a chair? and then go put it back?

When you can just yell "hey you!" and the 6foot stallion helps you out.

I'll start giving you nickels.

Ps- So glad you are blogging, love what you have done with the place.

Hayley said...

"normal-sized" people? just because you're tall doesn't mean you always have to talk down to people.