Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rationalize this

As this is the beginning of my new foray into the art of blog, I feel the need to start off on a good foot and let the world know just how smart and complex a man I am. In my studies of political science and economics, it is often said that most people act in a manner that is self-interested, but nonetheless in a manner that is rational. I agree with the self-interested part and the rational part sounds good if you don't think about it, but then you ask yourself, "what in the hell does it mean to be rational?"

This is where the confusion begins. If you asked me, I'd say that I'm one of the most rational people alive, but I'd also say that there are tons of people out there that aren't rational at all. But are they really irrational? See, the problem is that being rational is based almost exclusively on perceptions of individuals. So who decides what is rational? There are people who think it's rational to smoke (it's not, don't worry), other people may think that being a suicide bomber is rational, and there's prob some crazies out there that think baby Bush was the greatest president since George Washington.

We all know that none of these views are rational, but again, that's the problem with rationality, it's always subject to the perception of the individual. There is no system or set of rules to determine whether someone is acting rationally or not. This is what makes the different studies of human behavior so difficult, yet so intriguing. Really tho, what I'm trying to say is that I'm rational, and there's a good chance you're not, unless you agree with me, then in that case we are both rational and we are friends.

1 comment:

Jo Olsen said...

Welcome to the world of blogging my friend. I must say i'm impressed with your post. Very intellectual. You have inspired me to rejoin the clan of bloggers that inundate the web with rational/irrational thoughts. Thank you.