Saturday, April 25, 2009

I Can Read

I LOVE to read. There, I said it.

I read for fun. I read to learn about history and current events. I read to grow spiritually. Reading improves our writing and speaking abilities. It makes us smarter. It stirs up our imagination and drives creativity. Books can teach us life lessons and morals. They allow us to learn from others' experiences.

This summer I plan on reading at least one book a month.
Here's the list of potential candidates:
-Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
-Ghost Wars by Steve Coll
-The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
-East of Eden by John Steinbeck
-John Adams by David McCullough
-A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
-The Invisible Heart by Russell Roberts

For anyone looking for a quick read, I recommend The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. The book gives us an interesting view into how Satan and his minions try to tempt us and lead us astray. The book is a collection of letters between two of Satan's minions describing their efforts and devices to tempt men. It's an inspiring book that gives us a new perspective on how to resist temptation, it opens up our understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ and of our purpose in life.

Read it. I promise you won't regret it.

No comments: