Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I love technology, but not as much as you, you see, but I still love technology. Always and forever.

So this commercial for Windows phone 7 fits well with what I believe to be one of our society's many problems. That is, we miss some of the most important things in life because we are preoccupied or distracted by technology. Don't get me wrong technology is a great thing and it should have a place in our lives, to not use it to some degree would make us ungrateful, disadvantaged, and just plain dumb. On the other hand, to rely only upon technology and allow it to consume our lives makes us equally ungrateful, disadvantaged, and dumb.

Personally, I don't know what I would do without technology, I mean, I wouldn't be able to write this amazing blog without it. I know that there have been times in which I have let technology dictate too much of my life, but I have also realized that technology cannot replace real life. It cannot duplicate the feelings associated with a conversation in person. It cannot fully capture or replicate the beauty of nature. It cannot replace the companionship of a friend or loved one. It cannot replace real life.

I believe that technology should play a role in our lives, it allows us to do so much more than our predecessors, but I think we need to be careful and recognize that it does not and cannot replace other aspects of our lives. Technology can be a blessing and a curse and we get to decide which role it plays in our lives.

With that said, this video is pretty friggin' funny cause it's true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brett, I just found your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts! That's awesome you're in law school in California! What an experience! I admire people that are courageous enough to take on hard things, especially when you're doing it all by yourself. Best of luck!