Monday, March 28, 2011

I love Technology

I went to the Exploratorium in San Francisco this weekend and it was pretty sweet. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's like a science museum, but one where you get to try everything out. It's hard to explain, but it's like a ginormous playground that explains and gives examples of many different principles of science. Joe and I went Saturday and we spent about two and a half hours there and only saw about 2/3 of the exhibit. It cost 12 bucks with a student ID, but I would recommend it to anyone in the area who enjoys science or museums or learning or a good time or all of the above.

Being there reminded me about just how much I love science, especially when it doesn't require you to calculate anything or show your work. Ever since I was young, I have been intrigued by science and have loved to see how it applied in the world around me. Now I am a grown man and I am most definitely no physicist or chemist, but there are many out there trying to gain a better understanding of the workings of the universe. Einstein and Hawkings are freaks of nature, but thanks to them and the things they observed, we now have a better understanding of the world/universe around us. While I will likely never understand the principles the same way that they understand them, I nevertheless am benefited by their efforts through the progression of science and technology and I am continually intrigued by the ideas and principles they and other scientists present.

All this thinking about science reminded of this video about quantum physics I saw awhile back. It shows how little we understand the basics of science and specifically how little we understand about quantum physics and particles. It's about 5 minutes long and the animation is a little cheesy, but I promise that it is worth watching.


I think that scientific anomalies, like that shown in the video, are very complex on the surface and yet underlying them all are some very simple and clear principles by which everything is ruled. Whatever the situation is, I know that I am intrigued and love to learn about stuff like this.

1 comment:

Mallory Allen said...

Brett!!! I LOVE the Exploratorium. I decided I would be a vegetarian after I watched them dissect a cows eyeball there in like 2nd grade. It didn't last long though, I love me some meat :)