Saturday, March 26, 2011

A message of hope.

This post, like so many before it, begins with a story about a boy and a girl...

Last Friday I was texting up a storm, and during a conversation with a girl who goes to San Jose State something was said that shook the foundation of my world. Here is the pertinent part of our conversation.

Me: How do you feel about about college basketball?
Her: Never been to a game before
H: I'm down with going though
M: What?! Never been to a game? Well I assume you still know what March Madness is?
H: Um of course...What is it?

This is kind of how I felt...

 Initially I was shocked. Then I felt a little bit betrayed. Finally, I felt pity.

One of my peers, a college student, had never heard of March Madness. The single biggest (and greatest) college sporting event had somehow slipped by this girl and she had gone on living her life in ignorant bliss, thinking her life was complete. I felt impelled to, at a minimum, explain to her just what an amazing thing she was missing out on. I don't think she realized just how amazing it is, but I did what I could, I shared with her what I knew to be good and true.  March Madness rarely fails to a highlight of my year, so I cannot understand how a person's life could be complete without it...

This year has been no exception. For the most part the games have been nail-biters, the upsets have been many (and surprising), my bracket has been busted (still hoping my Gators can pull it off), and March Madness on Demand has allowed me and and millions of other responsible Americans to watch each and every game while at school or work on our laptops.

It has been an amazing ride thus far, and from experience I know that the last 7 games will not disappoint. For millions of Americans, the only problem with March Madness emerges once the champion has been decided, because, well, then what? There is no replacement, there is no substitute for the joy and excitement provided by March Madness and that is when the true "madness" begins. It's like being addicted to Oxycotin and trying to replace it with gummy bears. They are good, but not any kind of a substitute**. For me personally, I have never had a problem because baseball season usually starts within a day or two of the end of March Madness. But for the majority of Americans, baseball just doesn't cut it. And while the playoffs for both the NBA and NHL follow relatively close behind, we all know that they are sad and unrealistic substitutes. People try to find things to fill the void in their lives, but day-time dramas, court-room tv, and brownie fudge shakes physically cannot do the job. As a result there are sharp increases in depression, insanity, boredom, gambling debt defaults and obesity all across America.

It is a problem, and I don't know what the answer is. But it might  be as simple as picking up a good book, or by watching all 6 seasons of Lost in one month, or by simply using those hours spent focused on basketball by focusing instead on your family, friends, or even work. I hope you are able to deal with the withdrawals in an effective manner and that the "madness" doesn't drive you to hurt yourself or do something crazy. If you need any help or support, I am here for you, I will be a shoulder for you to cry on and a friend for you to vent to. But most importantly, I will teach you to love the game of baseball and permanently overcome the low in your life that is post-March Madness. 

** I am not addicted to prescription drugs if that's what you're thinking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true! Every year I miss the madness so much. I think your friend needs to turn on ESPN and it's time for her to start her love affair with college basketball.
-Gabby

Anonymous said...

"And while the playoffs for both the NBA and NHL follow relatively close behind, we all know that they are sad and unrealistic substitutes."

*Shakes my head* Go Sharks!