Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Coke or Pepsi

Coke or Pepsi?

Personally, I am a coke man, but I drink both and enjoy both.

Years ago, I had heard rumors that in a blind taste test it was impossible to tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. But I've always believed that there is a distinct difference between the two and I thought for sure that I could tell the difference. So, I decided to test myself.

On Friday I went with my roommate Ryan and bought a 2-liter of Coke and a 2-liter of Pepsi. We then proceeded with 2 phases of testing. We used 5 glasses that were identical and I blindfolded myself to make sure the study was not compromised.

Phase 1
This phase consisted of 3 rounds of 3 cups with the only requirement being that all 3 couldn't be the same soda. I guessed 9 out of 9.

Phase 2 
This phase consisted of 2 rounds of 5 cups again, with the only requirement being that all 5 couldn't be the same. In the first round I guessed 4 out of 5, but in the second round I lost control and only got 2 out of 5. Making a total of 6 out of 10 in phase 2.
I believe one reason for my fallout at the end was that my tastebuds had been fatigued or simply that my pallet was full of both flavors, ruining my chances to distinguish one from the other. If I had found some way to cleanse my pallet after each round I think I could have come 19 for 19. So if anyone has ideas on cleansing pallets that doesn't involve ginger I would love to hear it.

While this test was by no means conclusive, I now know that I can tell the difference between the two. And my record of 15 for 19 proves that, it is a .789 batting average after all...dang, I am talented.

No comments: