Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Like Father like Son

Over the past 3 or 4 years an interesting phenomenon has begun to appear in my life. I have slowly started to become more and more like my Dad. I've started to notice the similarities in 4 areas thus far.

Style:
For as long as I can remember my Dad has worn black jeans and black cowboy boots. Six years ago I would have called you crazy if you told me I would literally be wearing my Dad's boots to church each week and that I would own multiple pairs of black jeans. But here I am, doing just that.

Taste:
There are several foods that my Dad has had always loved and that I had always hated.One being asparagus and the other tomatoes. I really started liking asparagus about 3 or 4 years ago, and more recently I started liking tomatoes. In fact, I prefer my sandwiches and burgers with one, something I thought would never occur.

Work:
While I failed to follow in my Dad's footsteps as an engineer, I have come to love yard work. I used to hate mowing the lawn or doing pretty much anything that didn't involve a tv or computer. But now I have gained a true appreciation for the work involved in creating a beautiful yard and I can't wait to have my own someday.

Religion:
My Dad has always been a very faithful and active member of the Mormon church and a great a great disciple of Jesus Christ. Over the past 7 or 8 years I have really begun to follow in his footsteps and religion and Christ have become a very integral part of my life and in creating the person I am today.

I'm not gonna lie, when I first noticed some of the similarities I was pretty surprised. I never really thought I would be very similar to my Dad, but when I really thought about it I realized how awesome it is. I am honored to becoming more like such a great man. I'm still not patient, even-tempered, wise, or successful, but I hope that in time I will begin to develop these great attributes as well. I know that I have a long way to go before I'm there, but it's a comfort to know that it is possible and that I have such great potential...so, thanks Dad. You are a great example and influence in my life and you deserve the slow clap.

2 comments:

Zac said...

I think the three stages of being an adult are: Not wanting to be like your dad, being like your dad a little and not liking it, and trying to figure out how to be more like your dad. State 3 is what it's all about.

Also, I don't remember ever seeing you in pants.

Meesh said...

Boots Brett? Boots?