Friday, July 1, 2011

PSA: A Constant Threat

I know that I have discussed this before, so to all of you that read My Contingency Plan last year, I apologize, just take this as a reminder. Last week I started reading a booked called Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and it has got me thinking that we all need to be prepared for anything. Particularly, a zombie infestation/attack.
And apparently the government is worried about the too. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention website, a government agency, recently released plans in the case of a zombie apocalypse. It suggests that every person be prepared with the essentials, like water, food, medication, clothes/blankets, tools, and first-aid supplies. Additionally, it suggests that each person/family should have a plan prepared (E.g. a meeting place, emergency contacts, multiple escape routes, etc.). You likely think I'm joking right now, but check out the website and you'll see that the government is not joking around and neither should you.
While the website is a good starting point, it is by no means the end of preparing for what is destined to happen. The biggest flaw I noticed in their plan was that it included no information concerning battling the zombies. Choosing weapons to combat the undead will depend a lot on your style, but I would recommend a gun of some sort and something that doesn't require ammunition (baseball bat, crowbar, etc.).

Additionally, to effectively prepare I would suggest watching a few zombie movies (28 Days/Weeks Later, I am Legend, Zombieland, etc.) in order to see both effective and ineffective zombie defenses and tactics. You'll be able to see how zombies act, learn the best ways to protect yourself and see the best places to find defense.

Lastly, take the advice of the CDC and make yourself a contingency plan. Without it you will likely freak out and be one of the first to fall to the plague. So, are you prepared?

No comments: